When recovering from Long COVID it is important to go slowly, pushing yourselves too quickly and too soon can cause you to crash. It is important to build on your recovery and get diet, lifestyle, herbal and nutritional support.
Recovery will be unique to each person and it is important that the healthcare practitioner understands your medical history, symptom profile and current health status. However, we are seeing a number of different therapies being successfully used in patients with Long COVID.
Nutritional supplements and herbal remedies for Long COVID
1. Multivitamin with CoQ10
- Proposal of a food supplement for the management of post-COVID syndrome - https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/34890036/
- Currently a trial on 500mg of CoQ10 and Long COVID - https://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT04960215
- Probiotic improves symptomatic and viral clearance in Covid19 outpatients: a randomized, quadruple-blinded, placebo-controlled trial -https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.1080/19490976.2021.2018899
3. Curcumin (tumeric) with black pepper
- Oral Curcumin With Piperine as Adjuvant Therapy for the Treatment of COVID-19: A Randomized Clinical Trial | Pharmacology - https://www.frontiersin.org/articles/10.3389/fphar.2021.669362/full
- Nano-curcumin therapy, a promising method in modulating inflammatory cytokines in COVID-19 patients – ScienceDirect - https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1567576920321895
- Curcumin (a constituent of turmeric): New treatment option against COVID‐19 - Babaei - 2020 - Food Science & Nutrition - Wiley Online Library - https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/pdf/10.1002/fsn3.185
- Effectiveness of Curcumin on Outcomes of Hospitalized COVID-19 Patients: A Systematic Review of Clinical Trials - https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/35057437/#:~:text=Taken%20together%2C%20these%20findings%20suggested,improving%20COVID%2D19%20disease%20outcomes.
- N-Acetylcysteine to Combat COVID-19: An Evidence Review - https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7649937/
From a herbal perspective, we will be looking at herbs that can reduce inflammation and I support memory issues and blood vessels.
Herbs that are being used for Long COVID include rosemary, hawthorn, yarrow, horsetail, horse chestnut, and echinacea.
- Dietary therapy and herbal medicine for COVID-19 prevention: A review and perspective – ScienceDirect - https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S222541102030506X
- The effect of Echinacea spp. on the prevention or treatment of COVID-19 and other respiratory tract infections in humans: A rapid review - https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7395221/pdf/main.pdf
Having a COVID-19 vaccine has also been demonstrated to reduce the risk of Long COVID - https://www.bmj.com/content/377/bmj-2021-069676
For more information about managing your Long COVID symptoms you can enquire about Dee Atkinson and Dr John Lamberts Long COVID clinic here or for Dr John Lamberts clinic click here.